Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Only Star

[The format isn't quite what it looks like on Celtx, so forgive me.]






INT. space shuttle

John Taggard is strapped into the pilot's chair in the cockpit of a space shuttle. The only thing visible through the front viewports is a single star; all else is absolute black. The light inside the shuttle is fluorescent, white, and harsh. John shows physical signs of suffering extreme cold. He reaches a hand toward a switch labeled "log recorder." He pauses for a moment, collecting his thoughts, then flicks it on. A green light shines to life, indicating that the device is recording.

John

This is Commander John Taggard aboard the STS Theseus. According to my chronometer, it's been six days, four hours, and twenty-three minutes since I came into contact with theelectrical storm. Navigation systems remain nonfunctional....

John stops speaking as he begins to shake. He folds his arms across his chest for warmth and continues his log, but he now speaks with less confidence.

John

Only systems powered directly by the fuel cells are operational. I still have light, but the climate control is losing power. Interior temperature is steadily dropping. Food and water stores are nearly depleted. I...I still don't know where I am. It doesn't seem possible. I'm completely surrounded by empty space; all recognizable stars have disappeared. Everything is black except....

John's voice trails off. He looks through the front viewport at the lonely star; the only speck of light against the endless, black doldrums.

John

(Losing composure and pretense of military professionalism)

Catherine...Catherine, I know they told me to only record my logs with this, but I don't care. To hell with them. It doesn't matter anymore. I just need you to know what I'm doing. I'm floating in empty blackness. I don't know where the storm took me, but I can only see one star. Cold and dark surround me for infinity, and the only light in all of existence that can reach me comes from one little star.So, Catherine, I'm doing the only thing I can do. I'm orienting myself to reach that star, heading straight for it. I may not know where I am, but I do know where I'm going. I'm coming back to you. You have to be there, because that star is the only source of warmth and light in all the universe right now. How could you be anywhere else? How could you be somewhere in the freezing darkness? No, you're there in the light. I know you're there.

John pauses, pain is etched on his face as he prepares to verbalize the inevitable.

JOHN

I know I won't be alive when you hear this message. It'll take years to reach that star, and I probably have a day left...two at the most.But I want you to know...I want you to know that I didn't die lost and afraid in some damn abyss. I'm on my way out. I'm on the road home. I'm not staying here in the cold and the blackness. I'm leaving it behind for sunlight, and air, and your warmth. That's all I'll think about until it's over.... I promise. I'm not afraid, so don't be sad.

John reaches out a finger to turn off the recorder.

JOHN

Commander John Taggard, STS Theseus...out.

He flicks off the recorder. The green light is extinguished. Once again folding his arms across his chest, he sighs, leans back his head, and closes his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment